I knew I was supposed to meet Mike at the corner sometime between 1130 and 130, as I had no internet access or phone I had no way to confirm this so i just figured I would hang out a cafe all morning. I woke up at 12 and rushed to the corner. I asked for uno Tavolo ( a table) and placed my order. I have been using Mi da (give me) to order, but i think it might be rude/crude so I am learning new ways, there are about 9 different ways to place your order. I did as my Roman book directed and asked for un caffe e' cornetto simpli (espresso and what turned out to be a croissant type pastry) The waitress was very nice about me stayign therefor a few hours despite other customers having to wait for tables, in Italy it is rude to ask customers to elave or hurry up. While I waited I spoke with a Romani whose mother has just moved to Orlando Florida, he was nice and asked where I was staying. I told him and he commented that my place must be very expensive, he is likely correct but its location is prima! Rome is not the kind of place where you can live outside the city and commute, its center city or nothing pretty much. We have no metro in our part of the city (on account of the ruins and such being underground) there are buses though. Both Rene and the cafe Romani told me how to catch a bus to where my campus is. While I waited I had dua bieccere vino bianco ( two glasses of white wine) The total cost of the espresso, corissant and 2 glasses of wine was about 8 Euro or $10. After about 2 hours Igave up on Mike and figured he missed his flight or made some other arrangements or something. I had looked up the corner to apartment and did not see him standing outside so i figured I would just go grab a drink inside and go exploring some more. Turns out he had been dropped off on the opposite corner and was doing the same thing I was doing at the caffe across the street form our place. He was behind a sign so I couldnt see him and when he looked for me I was hidden by a plant, 20 feet from each other the whole time! I elt him in showed him around and then we headed out.
We walked about and just familiarized ourself with our surroundings and caught up. Later we went to the liquor store and bought 2 bottles of wine. Mike took a little italian in college and can speak it far better than me. We then sat out side our place and drank some wine on the stoop. Later we decided to find a nice italian restaurante and to walk to campus to guage the distance. We couldnt find the campus but we did walk through the Piazza del Popolo which is right next to our school somewhere. Later we foudn this sweet building I had seen people taking picutres of all day right across form St. Angelo and we decided to figure out what it was as it looked so historic and important, turns out to be an elementary school. We then dropped by a real fancy looking little place that offered the complete meal for 15 euro. I got lasagna as my primo and chicken with lemon as my second, mike got penne and meatballs. It was a nice little place, I'd go back. After that we found some gelato and turned in for the night. Strawberry gelato is gross. I intend to return tommorrow to the internet cafe we found on the otherside of navona.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment