Monday, July 12, 2010

Bratislava and Vienna....

So another bus trip today, it wouldn’t have been so bad except for one girl threw up 9x in the bathroom, which of course made the bus smell amazing. We made a stop over in Bratislava, which was nice and clean, but certainly did have the old soviet apartments and things and you could tell outside the capital it was a very scary place. What we saw was very pleasant albeit short.


When we arrived in Vienna we supposed to take a bus tour but for some reason the main street was closed so we just went back to the hotel (which is a giant glass pyramid) and settled in until 7pm when we headed into the city to go watch the world cup final. We went to an austrailian bar (our tour guide is austrailian) it was fun but very hot. I tried some kangaroo, crocodile, and vegemite which I cant even explain except that its like a sauce. I just got a baked potatoe with sour cream (I’ve been craving one for a while now) and I ate a cheesefilled weinerschnitzel outside. Our guide made the point over and over; “The hotdog stands might look shady, but they are gold”. He was right, it was excellent. After the game we came back to the hotel, and hoping to make it an easy night I just wanted to go to bed, but instead Austria is experiencing a blackout. So we all just went to the bar for a little as it was still running, but eventually I used my camera to light the stairwell and hike up 4 flights of stairs and found my room in the pitch black. I hesitated because its an electronic keycard system but it worked fine and I got in, its just hot as hell in my room with no ac. Everyone swore that with the power out we weren’t going ot be able to get in our rooms, but I surmised by 1. the lack of other people milling about the bar and 2. the complete infeasibility of such a system that the keycard would work on battery or the like and of course I was right. Of course since my computer runs on battery, I am having no problem typing this now. I have internet access here in Austria and will make a big post, but with the power down the internet is gone with it. Those following closely will have a lot to read soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment