I had a 2 hour busride to reflect a little on my experiences here in Europe and abroad. It got me to thinking about my failed attempts to study abroad as an undergrad. When I graduated society basically said “a sociology degree?!? What are you ever going to do with that?!” Then they told me the only things I would ever be able to do with that were to teach high school or go to law school. I’ve done both. I’ve taught Russian children and discussed the cold war with their teachers. I’ve gone dog sledding in Canada and toured parts of the Caribbean. I’ve seen areas of Slovenia and Slovakia where economies are on the rise, I’ve seen what left of the empire of Rome when it has fallen. I’ve taken a gondola ride on the grand canal in Venice, eaten paprika chicken Hungary, seen where Mozart and Bach played their symphonies, had my pass port stamped at Checkpoint Charlie and seen what a city can look like after an allied bombing raid first hand, I’ve discussed poetry over a pint with an Irishman, I’ve seen the window in Prague that started the 30 years war in Europe and ended with the treaty of Westphalia which still defines how we define the break up of the world into nation states. I’ve toured the homes of emperors, kings, presidents, and czars. I’ve seen where pizza was invented, visited the ruins of Pompeii, ate more types of food than I can remember. I’ve been in two different churches built out of bones. I’ve seen the alps and sat front row of a European football game. I’ve seen the oldest crown jewels in Europe, the world’s largest gold nugget, and seen what a conquering nation can do to a subjugated people. I’ve seen the gates of Babylon, the bust of an Egyptian queen, obelisks that boggle engineers as to their raising. I’ve seen where the pope lives and where Hitler ceased to. I’ve seen one of the top 5 best zoos in the world, learned to speak 4 different languages, I’ve seen mankind at his best and his worst. I’ve seen the artwork of all the masters and dozens of god’s houses. My passport is now full of stamps, my computer full of pictures, and my head and heart full of experiences.
So what can I do with a sociology degree? …anything I want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment