Monday, July 5, 2010

Veni, Vedi, Vici...

Well I came, I saw, I conquered. I am finally leaving Italy tomorrow morning at 8am to head to slovenia. Today was way better than yesterday. We went into the heart of venice and after a brief tour we were left to our own devices. We got al ittle history on venice, 1. most of the islanmds are man made 2. venice as a republic lasted over 1300 years, more than the roman empire 3. the main dish is risotto with squid ink (if it didnt cost 35 euro i'd be all over it) 4. indiana jones and the last crusade was filmed in part of venice. 5. st mark's church was a church dedicated to stealing the corpse and hiding it in pork, so the muslims wouldnt investigate it, and delivering it ot venice. 6. venice sacked constantinople a dozen times and was a huge world power for a looooooong time. 7. coffee can cost 42 euro in venice.   So we did a small tour and then everyone went to the gugenheim modern art museum....I went to the indiana jones church/musuem. The museum was all kinds of reconstructions of LDV's inventions...it was great. I'll post picks of the scythe ship and others eventually. After that i went in St. Markos, the bell tower for aerial views of the city, and the palace/prison of the king (doge) of venice. We also went for a tour in the last lace school in venice, supsidised by the government because it is not profitable, and they showed us how it was made and how it takes 7 people 8 months to finish a doilie. Then we went to glass blowing dmeonstration, venice is known for its lace and glass. After all that i went on a gondolaride and we had a 6 course meal before catching the fairy. I impressed the shit out of everyone, including the tour guide when i asked "if its possible, may we have another bottle of regular water please" in italian at dinner. It was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment